1015

Leipzig right from the beginning

20th May 2015 to 25th October 2015
A joint project of the Leipzig Museum of City History and the Dresden State Office of Archaeology
Böttchergäßchen 3, 04109 Leipzig

The chronicler Thietmar of Merseburg first mentioned Leipzig using the words “In urbe Libzi vocata …”. This is the motto for the exhibition, which for the first time presents the early history of the city from various perspectives and summarises archaeological and historical research over recent decades. 
The visitor is taken on a tour of the historical city: from Hainstraße to the market square and to St. Thomas Church with its cemetery, then on to Pleißenburg Castle and, finally, to Augustusplatz - with a view over the surrounding countryside. Archaeological excavations took place at these sites in the city centre; they are venues where Leipzig city history "took place".