As a scientific library specialising in the history of the city of Leipzig, the library of the museum collects publications about Leipzig and the city’s development.
The stock of about 120,000 volumes includes extraordinary collections, such as:
- Largely complete collection of the ‘Illustrirte Zeitung’
- Stock concerning the Battle of the Nations and the ‘German Campaign’ (‘Befreiungskriege’)
- Richard Wagner Collection, F. Mendelssohn Bartholdy Collection (Rudolf Elvers Collection)
- History of the German Labour Movement
- ”Glossa in apocalypsim“, 1481, 1st printed book in Leipzig
- One of the first editions of the first ‘Universal-Bibliothek’ of Reclams’ Edition – one of the oldest series on the German book market