Monument to the Battle of the Nations
Leipzig’s most famous landmark is located close to Napoleon’s former command post in the centre of the battlefield of the Battle of the Nations in 1813. The monument (which was constructed from concrete and granite porphyry and inaugurated in 1913) is a towering 91 metres high. Its viewing platform provides a stunning panoramic view of Leipzig and its surroundings.
The highlights of a visit to the Monument can include concert events – distinguished by the highly favourable acoustic conditions of the monumental cupola.
The FORUM 1813 museum, which is located at the base of the Monument, provides information on the Battle of the Nations. At the museum, a large number of rare weapons, uniforms, pieces of equipment and personal mementos provide insights into those tragic days of war.
In the last two decades, the Leipzig landmark has been extensively renovated. In addition to the restoration of the historical building structure, the tourist infrastructure was fundamentally upgraded. The final work is currently being carried out on the reconstruction of the historic park at the back of the building, which will be completed in the coming year. At the same time, we devote ourselves with great commitment to the complex preservation of the substance of Europe's largest monument building. Against the background of the current challenges, however, we are also trying in an intelligent way to reconcile the preservation and operation of the monument with sustainable resource management.
April – October: daily 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
November – March: daily 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Closed December 24, December 31
Free admission to the Monument for those under the age of 6
Free admission to the Museum FORUM 1813 for those under the age of 18
Adults: 10 €
Reduced: 8 €
Straße des 18. Oktober 100
0341 24 16 870
Every Thursday 2 p.m.
more tours on request
Southeast of Leipzig; Car park in front of the monument; Tram: Tram 2, 15, S Völkerschlachtdenkmal; Train: S1, S4, S Völkerschlachtdenkmal